Tuesday 11 February 2014

10

Feb 11, 2014

Well today was mildly interesting. 
I was slightly tired and falling asleep the entire day, so keep in mind everything had a lazy tinge to it. 
So school was fairly normal. We had chemistry/physics and life science (which I had not too much trouble with- it all kinda made sense), then after a lunch of rice, Yorkshire pudding and some sort of stew thing, they had a French test on a play by Molière and I read a book. 
After school we got picked up by Mathilde's grandma (Oliver's mum), but not before Mathilde was given a gigantic red heart-shaped balloon for her birthday yesterday. Somehow we fit it into the car in the backseat, then we drove home. I should mention at this point that I was almost falling asleep in the car and finding it hard to keep up a conversation in French with the driver.  I found myself speaking slower with more pauses than usual, and my vocabulary was decreasing exponentially. Eventually we just stopped talking, and I decided to have a nap when we got home. 
I went to sleep right away for an hour, after which Mathilde and I were going to leave for the rehearsal of her orchestra before the concert they were playing at tonight. But as I was too tired and had only been to one rehearsal, I decided not to go. So Mathilde left, (probably picked up Clémentine along the way somewhere) and I went back to bed.  
An hour after that, Aline, Nadia, Olivier and I left to go watch the concert. As we were getting into the car, I noticed aloud that on the way back we would have six people and only seat belts for five. Aline said oh yes, she had forgotten but we would figure it out. I didn't worry. It was a short drive in a small village. 
We got pizza and calzones (pizzas folded in half and glued together) on the way for dinner, and I have to say take our pizza here is much better. It's more Italian style, with thin crusts and interesting cheeses. Also one of the pizzas we got was called a "pizza Eva". 
We got to the conservatory and headed in with our pizza. We weren't sure exactly where or when we were going to eat it. It was almost at this point when I had not eaten anything since lunch, about seven hours ago. I guess I didn't realize I was hungry because I was so tired, but now I was really hungry. 
So we walked up the stairs to where the doors to the theatre were. There was kind of an airlock setup, where you go in some doors first, then there's a dark area with little red lights behind the audience up high, then you go through another door to go sit down. But what we did was go through the first door like normal, then inconspicuously place our pizzas and stuff on the floor of the dark area and eat pizza. I was about half way through my piece when I realized what I situation this was. We were crouched around some pizza, eating really fast because we had to, behind a theatre in which a semi-formal concert was going on (I say semi formal because none if the groups were really great, they were mediocre). So yeah. Just hanging about like we owned the place eating our dinner. 
After we finished and saved some for Clem and Mathilde, we washed our hands and went in to sit down. Just in time too, because the orchestra came on just then. Before them was a girl singing "skyfall" but she wasn't that great of a singer, and got off the beat a couple times. It was ok though because her backup piano, drums, and bass trio were super great. 
The orchestra played. Nothing special, just what I expected. Better than advanced strings at central, but much worse than the junior orchestra at the VCM. There were some really good individual players though, including Mathilde and the concert master. 
Then a trombone quartet plus bass played, and they were pretty good. It was nice to hear a trombone again. I wondered if there was any way a trombone-less teenaged bald canadian girl could join a trombone quartet of French balding men. I figured there was a possibility. Apparently the trombone teacher in the quartet is the husband of Mathilde's violin teacher. It's a small place. 
After the concert we all piled into the car, Aline and Olivier in the front, me, Mathilde, Clem and Nadia in the back. Nadia sat on my lap, since she was the smallest. Mathilde and Clem are their pizza in the car, and I mused that we were turning this little fuel-efficient car into a gigantic RV just by cramming it with people and eating food in he back. It was cosy, the kind of cosy feeling you get when you build a blanket fort and then realize it's a bit too small but you stay anyway. And then cram all your friends into it, and start eating pizza. Anyway...
We were all super tired after that so we all went to bed. Or rather, we should have all gone to bed but instead I played viola, Mathilde played violin, Nadia had a bath, Clem did her math, Aline found a strawberry pie (mmmmm...) and we all got busy. Then later Mathilde hogged the bathroom (she's still in there..) to have a bath and I showed "It Must have Been the Dragon" to Aline and Olivier while Nadia and Clem complained about the noise and the bathroom-hogging. 
Then things finally calmed down a bit and I got handed my toothbrush by Mathilde opening the bathroom door a crack, and now I'm writing this. Whew. How is it 23:20? I started at 22:30. Darn, I was totally planning on getting to sleep at a reasonable hour today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment