Tuesday 15 March 2016

4


Last night I found a little cockroach in with my night guard. It was just a small one, but still pretty gross so I washed my night guard very well before I put it in my mouth. I guess it must have crawled in through one of the little ventilation holes and decided it was a nice small dark place to hang out. I didn't manage to catch it afterwards so I really hope it doesn't feel the need to revisit my stuff.
Today at Dile again. More Spanish. I feel like I'm losing confidence in Spanish speaking abilities, but it might just be that I'm trying to say more complicated things and talk in past tense. Conjugating verbs is still not absolutely immediate for me, especially in non present tenses. And I have to remember that I can use "am eating" or "is doing" because that tense doesn't exist in French which is the framework I base most of my Spanish on. I can pretty much understand most of what's being said to me though.
We did grammar, and talking, and that sort of stuff, then to "Zuma" clothing store to practice vocabulary revolving around clothes. The clothes there are very stylish. Everyone here has a fashion sense. Zuma is also in what looks like an old stone fancy building like the ones I saw yesterday with our group. A department store in an ornate stone building.
I always feel a bit awkward when Maribel is making food because I think I should help but the kitchen is so small that really I would just be getting in the way of everything. So I set the table and try to help in other ways.

We actually have time to nap today because we meet at 5pm at the round church. I've never been so excited to sleep. I choose nap time over reading King Lear and calculus homework (which I do have to get done, but not today). I should remember to buy gifts for people soon…

Department store: El Corte Inglés. Six floors. They have a sports section which is basically all the clothes us west coasters would wear on a regular basis.
Coats, fleeces, practical clothing.
Santa Semana is coming up, Holy Week. El día de el Padre is a chance for stores to offer huge savings apperently. There are signs everywhere about savings on Holy Week. It's so cultural.
They have 90% Lindt chocolate! Yes! (and 99%) it tastes a bit different here. Better, I think. I also bought some really nice olive oil and fancy flavours of lindor to bring home.
I just had one piece of milk chocolate. It's so sweet. Wow.

We're doing a pub crawl, but with tapas bars. Every second store is a tapas bar. We went to a Mexican one first, I got a rice quesadilla that was deep fried cheese, basically. Pretty good. Very salty. There was wifi there, so I was able to message and snapchat my mom and my friends on the other side of the earth from a small tapas bar in Salamanca. Isn't the internet amazing. This place we're at now though, across the street from the "Van Dyck" Mexican style tapas bar is really good. I got Brie cheese deep fried with almonds. Not something I would think to put together, but super amazing. I totally have new ideas for Brie now. Fried Brie with nuts, new breakfast. I also got some chicken, so now I'm really full. Good thing dinner is at 10pm. I like this system of naps and late dinners. It's like two mini days filled with mini meals (tapas/pinchos) and one big meal in the middle.
A bet has been made between Henderson squared, Zoe, Matteo, Tyler, and a couple others. The idea is to only speak Spanish, except "como se dice" for certain words, all day tomorrow starting the minute we step off the bus on our day trip to Segovia and Ávila. It should be a really exciting trip, one of the cities still has it's medieval wall. The bet should be good too: any losers have to do fifteen push-ups in the plaza Meyor while singing Oh Canada. Personally I want to see Henderson do this. Actually just everyone. In any case this should be good. At least we're not playing assassin, now that's a stressful game. 


No dinner for Eryn and I tonight. Too many tapas (or not enough, because they're SO GOOD).

No comments:

Post a Comment