Wednesday 23 March 2016

12


We're at the bus station again. There's an ad on the wall for "Alhambra" beer, I guess they are using the name of the Arabic fortress. I want to buy something from the mini cafeteria here, but everything they have is sandwiches. It's a good thing I still have some cheese (thanks to the hostel fridge) and fruit and nuts and dried beans. So I should be good for lunch.
We're going to have a lot of free time in Nerja, and I just realized I put my deadline for writing and recording the song I will use for my Supernatural parody at the end of March. Which means I should really prioritize that as well as math for the next two days. It's already Wednesday the week before school starts, that feels very soon.
I don't understand how performers can travel for hours and then get up on a stage and perform. Tours must be exhausting.

We're driving along the Mediterranean coast! This is amazing! The houses are nestled between cacti and palm trees and it's 18 degrees Celsius outside! All the houses are white and small and Greek-like. The ocean is light blue. This ocean is so different from the intimidating deep blue Pacific.  This one looks warm and inviting.
We're at a stop, and in looking at the shadow of a spiky tree on the ground. My first thought was pine tree, because that's always what it's been in the past, but I need to remind myself that this is a shadow from a PALM TREE and the sun is shining from above the MEDITERRANEAN SEA. That's still amazing to me that I'm actually here.
It's funny because it's 19 degrees now and the people outside at the bus stop are wearing long coats, pants, and scarves. I would be in the lightest sundress I own, and probably still be a bit too hot.

Our hotel is amazing. After waiting about 30 min at reception and passing the time by doing some sprint racing and pennywhistle, we climes the hill to our apartments. They are much bigger than our home stays. There are two bathrooms (both with showers), a washer and dryer, three bedrooms (I get one all to myself), a full kitchen, a livingroom, and two balconies (it's a full apartment). I have gone swimming in the sea already, and it was really cold and super wavy and full of rocks and sand, but still warmer than Victoria water. I stayed in for about twenty minutes, and it was so windy afterwards that I air-dried. Then I went in the outside pool and swam a couple laps (my shoulders feel so nice after that). So I'm tired now but very happy and relaxed. Tomorrow is a nothing day, nothing scheduled. Just being here and enjoying the sun. And hopefully getting some work done (I keep saying that…). The chaperones went into town and bought groceries, so we're having dinner here tonight with all the girls. Pizza and salad.
Just finished playing a great game of "Oh Hell".

Just had dinner with everyone and spent the evening playing board games. It was very enjoyable, just having a good time. According to the teachers who came to visit us to give us coffee, the boys were not having as much fun as we were (but they would beg to differ on the group chat). Really good homemade frozen pizzas and salad and soda and strawberries. It's a really good thing we decided to generally cook and eat things all together in the girls' apartment below us (where we ate today). We're having eggs and breakfast all together down there tomorrow. Anyway, our kitchen sucks. We don't have oven mitts or a second oven rack or a wok or five frying pans or a set of pots or a rolling pin or adequate cutlery, all of which they have downstairs. I mean, we do have some weird whisk/flattener thing that I can't for the life of me figure our what it is (it's the last picture in the photo link- see if you can guess what it might be for). Zoe is at the moment cooking some rice and stirring it with a serrated knife, because that's literally all there was. We do. However, have a juicer and a martini shaker. So if we want to make a martini with the milk, Fanta, spinach, ice, and single strawberry we have, we can certainly do it. I think this is some sort if bachelor pad or something, I don't know. It's also got a couple lids that don't have pots to go with them. It's weird that the kitchen downstairs is actually quite well-stocked well our is… Well.

I'm considering getting up early tomorrow at 7an to see the sunrise. I think I will, and then go back to bed. Tomorrow is my free day in Spain; I'm gonna swim in the water of this opportunity (and the literal water of the pool).

Hoping to have a wonderful one-day spring break break day,

Eva.

1 comment:

  1. I finally read this on the computer. Makes it ten times better to view the pictures! I guess you are off to the last place tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete