Sunday 27 May 2012

Quiet day, Kayaking

After Tivoli, the next day we didn't do much, but we explored the area around our townhouse building, and found two things, and I made a hat and sword for Tobin. First, we found a bunch of outdoor exercise equipment, including a machine where you swung your legs from side to side, and one where you put each foot on a platform, and swung them forward and back, like you were walking in a strange way. I wouldn't call them exercising, but they were fun, and there was a lot of kids playing on the other structures as well, including parallel bars, monkey bars and two balance beams. Second, I might not have mentioned it, but there's a moat that goes halfway around our building, and we found out that you can rent kayaks for free (if you live in the building). They weren't racing kayaks or anything, they were just recreational kayaks, but they were fun. Around the side of the moat there are daffodils and other plants growing in clumps, and there were about a million frogs. I tried to catch them from my kayak, but it kept drifting away so I decided I'd come back later from the shore. Along with kayaks, there were two plastic row boats as well, and Julias went in one of those. Tobin went in a single kayak most of the time, of which there were two, and there were three tri-yaks.
About the hat: Tobin watched pirates of the Caribbean recently, and so afterwards he wanted to be a pirate captain, so he needed me to make a pirate hat out of the rectangle piece of card that was in the house. So I did, and personally, I'm pretty impressed with myself.
About the sword: I carved a twisty sword for him the next day or so, with my little leatherman, out of a stick I found in the pond. I braced a thin bit of it with a failed sycamore whistle I made back in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment