Monday 10 June 2019

Day Thirteen and Fourteen: In Which we Pick Various Fruits and Get Through Laundry Day


We've just finished packing our bags for the flight to Paris tomorrow, and there's a bit of calm right now before we go eat dinner for me to write up our adventures from yesterday!

Yesterday after a visit to our local cafe for coffee, we walked up to the highest view point in the city, a church at the neighborhood of Sacromonte. We walked higher and higher until the concrete ran out and we got to the un-gentrified dirt roads. There were also cacti everywhere and bits of grass, which was all weirdly comforting after being in the city full of concrete for so long.
The views at the top were amazing, we could see every area of Granada and a cool view of the Alhambra.












There was a fountain called the fountain of olives, or the fountain of youth. Supposedly it had healing properties, but either way it was a very cool and clear drink of water. There was also an interesting bit of wall with holes in it that you could walk through- replacing a ruined bit of the old city limits wall from Alhambra times.








On the way down I got excited because I had found a prickly pear cactus and the fruits on it. I learned why it was called "prickly" pear pretty quickly though, after I picked a pear-like fruit excitedly and got pricks all over my fingers. I smushed the fruit on the ground and it was a dark purple colour. I got all the splinters out of my hand and I learned my lesson. Gloves next time!






Rachel picked an orange from the many orange trees we see around, and it was mostly pulp and apparently tasted very sour. It's the day for picking public fruit!




On the way to dinner Rachel got a perfect leather fanny pack- something they'd been wanting since we arrived here and saw everyone pulling off the look so well.




Today was laundry day, and while walking down our cobblestone hill and thinking how lucky it was that neither of us had wiped out on this hill yet, I wiped out on the hill. It was a pretty bad tumble, but I'm lucky enough that all I walked away with was a skinned knee and a jammed finger on my left hand. A nice bus driver stopped and asked if I was ok, and I was- just very shaken! Rachel pulled our suitcase of laundry the rest of the way to the laundromat. After getting some detergent from a nearby grocery store, we were in business.
While waiting for our laundry, we perused the laundromat's selection of entertainment. We read this weird-ass autobiography from 2003 about a British dude who pretty much ruined his life by knowing starting a cult but claiming it was by accident. He did all of this without telling his girlfriend of three years, which inevitably ended that relationship. Sounds like the guy, Danny Wallace, is doing pretty well now though- makes a living by doing weird things and writing about them. He wrote the autobiography that was adapted into Yes Man. So, weird book, definitely the kind of thing you'd find at a laundromat.



We packed all our clothes back to the hostel, packed them in our cases, and now we're getting ready to start our travel day to Paris tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment