Wednesday 29 May 2019

Day Two: In Which we drink The Best Coffee EVER



(Alt Title: In Which we Stay in the Hotel form Mamma Mia)


Today has so far been much calmer than yesterday :)

We woke up in our hotel room feeling pretty well rested, checked out easily with a quick stop for wifi use in the living room, and headed out t o a cafĂ© we found on Google maps. It was so so lovely, well-priced, and the food was amazing! I'd forgotten how good the food is here. They do so much with simple ingredients. We both got potato tortilla, a beautiful mix of egg and potato cooked to perfection. And the coffee!! Damn good coffee. Sweet and creamy and bitter but not too much. And the whole breakfast was 9 euros for both of us. 























We stocked up on snacks for the bus journey at a supermarket and headed to the Metro. The transit infrastructure here is very efficient, and it was super easy to find our way via train to the Madrid Estacion Sur where we caught our bus to Granada. And after being frustrated for a bit that I didn't have my own music, I listened to the provided media music for a bit and it was better. Rachel is an art nerd who paints on busses, and I love them :) They painted a portrait of our God-tier coffee from earlier. I snacked on my dried giant puffed corn. Standard stuff.

I'm feeling a lot more settled now, and looking forward to what is sure to be a really lovely and amazing trip. Yesterday was rough, but that's the hardest travel day we have the entire time.

The oranges we bought in Madrid taste amazing! They're like little jewels. Fragrant bright jewels of fresh fruit flavour to break up the monotony of savoury salty snacks.

Cool thing: on the metro, there was an ad on the inside walls of the subway tracks so that it showed through the windows of the car. It was very clever because although it wasn't animated or moving at all, the individual frames whizzed by the framed windows so fast it looked like animation! It was similar to a zoetrope.




I am writing this sitting in our amazing hostel in Granada!! We made it! We did it!
We arrived in Granada and bused on a busy commuter bus to the (thankfully) right stop. Then we walked for what Google told us would be a ten minute walk- it was not. Because it was the steepest hill I have ever seen. Very aesthetic, very cool and cobblestoned, but I couldn't really take any of that in because I was walking in sweltering heat dragging a rolling suitcase behind me on 4 hours sleep and three travel days. So y'know, standard stuff.


Eventually we got to the hostel, and met up with the owner. We texted her through WhatsApp to meet us at the place, as there is no formal check in service. It's only 4 rooms with guests so it's quite cozy and cute! Definitely a converted home. It's nice, I actually feel more at home here than I would in a fancy hotel. Shared toilets, showers, microwave and fridge. Very comfortable bed. Small room but honestly it doesn't need to be bigger than it is- there's a beautiful common area courtyard and living room downstairs.

Lidia the owner was super nice, she gave us a rundown (in Spanish- All my understanding has come back!) of all the best places to see in Granada and marked them on a paper map for us. We gifted her a box of maple cookies from the airport in Vancouver and she really appreciated it- I'm glad we thought to get them! She also seemed very excited that we were staying for thirteen days, we'd get to see all of Granada. That's the plan, I said :) All in all a really nice intro.

First thing we did was shower- but the shower water sprayed everywhere and it got onto the bathroom floor and there was an inch of water that we mopped up with towels. Only later did we realize there was another, better shower that wasn't absolutely terrible, AND there was actually a dedicated mop. Honestly story of my life.


Since then we've just been relaxing, eating our snacks, using wifi, and promoing Hall of Wonders voting. Speaking of which, if you haven't already today, go HERE and vote for us ;) ;) ;)

I'm feeling good, relaxed. READY for a good night's sleep!

-----
Rachel's editorial:
"I'm not gonna comment on this one."
"Why?"
"I feeeeel tiiiiiireddd"





No comments:

Post a Comment